2024-08 cumulative update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 stuck on restart required

seatcooked

Reaction score
After installing the latest updates, I am encountering an issue where I cannot get past the "restart required" message. Despite rebooting several times, running sfc /scannow and DISM, everything appears to be fine. I have also stopped and restarted BITS and Windows Update services. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Check for any pending updates that might be interfering with the process. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and see if there are any updates listed that haven’t been installed yet.

Reaction score
Since you’ve done some good initial troubleshooting, another thing to try is checking the Windows Update log for any error codes that might give more insight. You can view the log by opening Event Viewer (type eventvwr in the Run dialog) and navigating to Windows Logs > System. Look for any errors related to Windows Update.

If you find any error codes, you can look them up online for more specific troubleshooting steps. Additionally, consider performing a clean boot to rule out any software conflicts that might be causing the issue. To do this, press Win + R, type msconfig, go to the Services tab, check “Hide all Microsoft services,” and click “Disable all.” Then, restart your computer and try the update process again.

If all else fails, you might want to download the latest update manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog and install it that way.

DiskDynamo

Reaction score
If you’re still stuck, another option is to use the Windows Update Assistant. This tool can sometimes bypass issues with the regular update process. Download it from the Microsoft website and follow the instructions to apply the update.

Ask a Question