Access on Win 11 and User Permissions

Roo

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a friend who has just bought a new Win11 (home) PC. All works OK, until we get to MS Access. He has a copy of Office2013 Pro (yes, its old and unsupported but works OK on other systems) and it installs fine. We open up a database, and the first time, it opens up as expected. The second time of opening, however, it shows the box shown below, and when you click accept, it shuts Access down. The only way back is to reinstall Office. It looks like an issue with the user permissions, but access/office seems to be happy to accept the licence key when first installed. Can anyone suggest a way round this?
Access Issue.png

RogerOver

Reaction score
Did you try to run in "compatibility mode" ?
Rightclick on the Installer (or on MS Access.exe if you have already installed) click on "Properties", tab "Compatibility", click on "Execute program in compatibility mode for": and then chose "Windows 8 or Windows 7".
There is also an option you could try on the same "Property" tab, to use a Windows troublehooter. It seems to be deprecated, but nevertheless still works (somehow).

Roo

Reaction score
Hi RogerOver,
I went to Properties, but I don't see a tab "Compatibility", just what I put below. Am I missing something?

1727364833968.png

RogerOver

Reaction score
Effectively !
Sorry; I don't have Microsoft 2013 Pro, so i just deducted from most other softwares.
What about the Microsoft Office installer you have. What happens if you rightclick the installer and look for the compatibility tab?
I found download links for Office 2013 Pro from Microsoft
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e-direct/7bcaa971-9493-44b6-a1ba-0db4c6957c47 ... but it takes a long time to download the iso file, so I couldn't test so far.

Edit:

Yes it's in the installer, please see my screenshot (French):

(By the way: at the bottom there is also an option to run the programm in comptibility mode for ALL users, not only for the current user) !

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Roo

Reaction score
Its OK, I got a fix...and its weird! The new PC had not spent any time running, because it could not fulfil its primary task, that of running an access data base. Anyway, as a side issue, I left it running for long enough to catch up on all its system and Office 2013 updates and that fixed the problem. Not sure why it worked, but it worked, so everyone is happy!

Thanks for your help (above) much appreciated!

Roo

Ask a Question