Any way to rename user (folder) name without breaking Windows?

PixelPro

Reaction score
I'm trying to change the user folder name in Windows, and I've run into a bit of a snag. Here's what I've done so far:
- Checked Current User Folder: In the Command Prompt, I determined that my current user folder is named "Sam".
- I tried to rename it to "User" in the Registry Editor under ProfileList.

However, when I do so, I end up losing data, and the system creates a temporary profile (TEMP).

Is there a way to accomplish this without losing data or ending up with a TEMP profile? Has anyone done this successfully? What do I need to do?

Solution
What I've done a couple times is when logged in as Admin I create a new User with a slightly different name, by at least one character, and make it an Admin account, usually Local instead of Microsoft. Then I sign out/log off followed by rebooting to get both accounts on the log-in screen. Then choose the one to keep and remove the one to get rid of choosing to save everything.

RogerOver

Reaction score

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
What I've done a couple times is when logged in as Admin I create a new User with a slightly different name, by at least one character, and make it an Admin account, usually Local instead of Microsoft. Then I sign out/log off followed by rebooting to get both accounts on the log-in screen. Then choose the one to keep and remove the one to get rid of choosing to save everything.

Vote:
Solution

PixelPro

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Bighorn! I hadn't thought about creating a new user account with a slightly different name. I'll give that a try.

Vote:

Ask a Question