Bad_Pool_Caller or Kernal_Mode_Heap_Corruption when trying to run a program from different drive

nhojjohn3

Reaction score
Lately, my PC has started to give a BSOD whenever I try to run a program from a different drive. I have two SSDs, and when I try to install Steam on one of them, the system crashes with a BSOD as soon as I open it. However, if I install it on my C:// drive, it works flawlessly. I altready tried to resolve this issue by resetting my PC when it first occurred, but that didn't fix it.I also reseated my RAM and reinstalled my GPU drivers by deleting them and then restarting the PC. A Memory Diagnostic test showed no errors found.

Bighorn

Reaction score
How was the program installed on the second drive? Windows-based programs normally can't be just moved to a different drive, the install does several things following copying files to a folder then copying support files such as *.dll to Windows folder/subfolders, writing entries to the Registry for the User or All Users and creating icons/shortcuts to the program. If one of those locations of referenced items is changed the program usually fails to work. Reinstalling to the location desired should work but could leave entries in the Registry that may require cleaning up later.