Blu-ray, DVD, and CD-ROM Drives Stopped Working After Windows 11 Update (08-14-2024): How Can I Fix This?

audittoilet

Reaction score
All three of my Blu-ray, DVD, and CD-ROM drives suddenly stopped working after the most recent Windows 11 update (dated 08-14-2024). When I check the drivers for these devices, I receive the following error message:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Object Name not found."

The Blu-ray and DVD drives are connected via USB 3.0, while the CD-ROM is an internal drive in my Dell computer. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all three devices and rebooting my computer, but the problem persists. Additionally, the option to roll back the update is greyed out, preventing me from trying that solution.

What steps can I take to resolve this issue? Is Microsoft aware of this problem, and if so, is there an estimated date for a fix?

Thank you.

RogerOver

Reaction score
I suppose it is the driver of the internal drive. Try this software first please !
I have made good experiences with it !
If it does not work, you need to find out the name of your internal drive and see if you can find the original or an updated driver (through the device manager; it's explained in the software link).

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question