Bluetooth Headphones Audio Cuts Out Despite Connection

Sammyx1991

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my ASUS TUF FX505DT on Windows 11. My JBL Bluetooth headphones and AirPods connect and play audio for a few minutes, but then the sound stops even though they remain connected, while the laptop continues as if nothing is wrong. This issue also existed on Windows 10 and persists after a clean install of Windows 11. When I turn off Bluetooth, the button becomes greyed out and sometimes disappears from quick settings. Device Manager shows the Bluetooth adapter with an exclamation mark and "Code 43" error. I've tried reconnecting the devices, updating and reinstalling drivers, restarting the laptop, and performing a hard shutdown. Despite these attempts, the problem continues, usually requiring a restart for a temporary fix. Any suggestions for a permanent solution would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Have you tried updating your Bluetooth drivers from the ASUS support site directly? Sometimes Windows Update doesn't have the latest versions. Another thing to check is if there's a firmware update available for your laptop.
Also, you might want to disable Bluetooth power management to prevent Windows from turning off the Bluetooth adapter to save power. You can do this in Device Manager by right-clicking on your Bluetooth adapter, selecting Properties, going to the Power Management tab, and unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Vote:
Reaction score
I've seen this issue before with certain Bluetooth chipsets. One possible solution is to completely uninstall your Bluetooth adapter from Device Manager and then restart your computer. This can force Windows to reinstall the driver from scratch, which sometimes fixes corrupted driver issues. If that doesn't work, you could try using a USB Bluetooth dongle as a workaround. It's not ideal, but it could give you stable audio until you find a more permanent fix.

Vote:

JAY BJay

Reaction score
Hi Sammyx1991, sorry to hear you're dealing with this. One thing you might want to try is booting into Safe Mode to see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, it could be an indication that another software or driver is interfering with your Bluetooth connection. Also, check for any BIOS updates for your laptop; these updates can fix hardware compatibility issues. Lastly, make sure that your wireless card's drivers are also up to date, as sometimes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers are bundled together.

Vote:

Sammyx1991

Reaction score
I managed to find a solution that worked for me. After some more digging, I found that the problem was related to the Bluetooth support service. Here’s what I did:
  1. Press Win + R, type services.msc, and hit Enter.
  2. In the Services window, scroll down to find "Bluetooth Support Service."
  3. Right-click on it and select Properties.
  4. Change the Startup type to "Automatic" and then click on the "Start" button if the service is not already running.
  5. Click Apply and OK.
After doing this, my Bluetooth headphones have been working without any issues for several hours. Hopefully, this helps anyone else facing the same problem!

Vote:

Ask a Question