Can't change default app to open .pdf on Windows 11

blackstonetunic

Reaction score
I want to make Adobe Acrobat the default program for opening .pdf files on my PC. Despite having Adobe PDF Reader installed, when I right-click a .pdf file, it shows Opens With listed as Microsoft Edge. I clicked the "Change" button, selected Adobe Acrobat, and "Set as default," but nothing changed.Microsoft Edge continues to be the default program. I think this might be a bug. Could you help me fix it?

Bighorn

Reaction score
Try Open with, click Choose another app, choose that app and at the bottom of the list there's two choices, pick one.
1715650256805.png

DanTheShield

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey @blackstonetunic

@Bighorn, thanks for sharing your experience. The method suggested can sometimes work, but if you're still having trouble, let's try setting Adobe Acrobat as the default PDF reader through Settings:
  1. Open Settings:
    • Press Win + I to open the Settings app.
    • Go to "Apps" and then "Default apps."
  2. Set Default by File Type:
    • Scroll down and click on "Choose defaults by file type."
    • In the search bar at the top, type .pdf to quickly find the PDF file type.
    • Click on the default app listed next to .pdf (which should be Microsoft Edge) and select Adobe Acrobat from the list.
This method should enforce Adobe Acrobat as the default app for opening PDF files. If you continue to experience issues, reinstalling Adobe Acrobat and repeating the steps can sometimes resolve persistent problems. Let me know if this helps!

Ask a Question