Can't rename folder in Windows 11

TechGuru99

Reaction score
It shows the message "Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." After clicking cancel, it displays "File or folder doesn't exist." I've tried all the solutions suggested in online videos, but nothing has worked. Can anyone help me resolve this issue?

Bighorn

Reaction score
Have you checked the Properties for the folder as to whether it is protected or if a subfolder of another whether that folder is protected?

Vote:

Raggister

Reaction score
Hi! Still have the same problem here, have "tried everything" and don't want to reinstall my computer. Renaming folders, moving folders and zipped files don't work as well, probably because it's about "folders" or containers.
I GUESS my problem started when a "crash" happened during backup routine, and all folder attributes we set to A-Archive, and because of the "crash" the attributes and also the 'right to rename or move folders' were not set back properly? Maybe this info can help someone in their search for a fix?
If I connect a new drive, the problem is the same on that external drive. If I make another admin user for the PC, the error still persists.

I have an annoying solution, EVERYTIME I open a cmd from the right click menu, and do a:
rename oldname newname
move foldername D:\storage\backup\

But to delete folders in the GUI, that works!

Vote:

Ask a Question