Can't set lock screen password on laptop

TedyThishj7

Reaction score
I'm using my Windows account as the administrator for my laptop, but I can't access the password option. The "add password" option in Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options appears to be disabled. Can someone please help me with this?

JohnTrabolta

Reaction score
This issue can occur if your account is a local account instead of a Microsoft account. Check if your account is connected to a Microsoft account. If not, try switching to a Microsoft account and see if that enables the password option. You can do this by going to Settings -> Accounts -> Your info and selecting Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.

DrPat_86

Reaction score
A policy set on your laptop could prevent you from changing the password. This could be the case if your laptop is part of a domain or managed by an organization. You can check for any group policies by running "gpedit.msc" and navigating to Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Account Policies -> Password Policy. If you're not familiar with these settings, it might be a good idea to contact your IT department or whoever manages your laptop's policies. Hope this helps!

Ask a Question