Files Missing After Malware Removal from External Storage

believediligent

Reaction score
I recently connected my external storage (like a USB drive or external hard disk) to an infected device, and it got infected with malware (a virus, worm, or Trojan). After scanning and removing the malware using an anti-malware program I noticed that my files are missing when I navigate to the drive.

I’ve learned that this happens because the malware typically creates a new folder, moves my files into it, and then creates a shortcut with an external hard drive icon. When you click on this shortcut, it opens the folder with your files but also runs the malware on your device. While the scan removed the malware, it didn’t unhide my files. In some cases, the malware hides the files and creates shortcuts with the same names, which also execute the malware when clicked.

How can I recover my files and make sure my external storage is clean and usable again?

DrPat_86

Reaction score
To fix missing files after malware removal, first try unhiding them using Command Prompt with the command attrib -h -r -s /s /d X:\*.*. If this doesn’t help, use file recovery software like Recuva to recover your files. Ensure all malware is gone by running another scan, then format the external drive to fully clean it.

RajKabaj

Reaction score
Here’s a step-by-step approach to recover your files and ensure your external storage is clean:
  • First, make sure your anti-malware program is up to date and run a full scan of the external drive again to confirm that no traces of the malware remain. Sometimes, remnants of malware can still be present, and a second scan might be necessary.
  • Next, to recover your missing files, you can use a file recovery tool. They sometimes restore files that have been hidden or moved. Download and install one on a separate, clean drive, and run a scan on your external storage to recover any files that might be hiding.
  • If you believe the malware created shortcuts or hid the files, you can try unhiding your files manually. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and use the command attrib -h -r -s /s /d X:\*.*, replacing X with the letter assigned to your external drive. This command will attempt to remove the hidden attribute from all files and folders on the drive.
  • After recovering your files, make sure to format the external drive to ensure it is completely clean. Right-click on the drive in File Explorer, select “Format,” and follow the prompts. This will remove any residual malware and restore the drive to a clean state.

DiskDynamo

Reaction score
Here’s my advice:
  • Scan Again: Run another scan with your anti-malware software to ensure no remnants of the malware are left on your external storage. Sometimes, a follow-up scan can help catch anything that might have been missed initially.
  • To recover missing files, consider using file recovery software. Install the recovery software on a different, clean drive to avoid overwriting any data, and then scan your external storage to recover hidden or lost files.
  • Unhide Files: If the malware hid your files, you can use Command Prompt to unhide them. Open Command Prompt with administrative privileges and type attrib -h -r -s /s /d X:\*.*, replacing X with the letter of your external drive. This command will attempt to remove the hidden attributes from your files and folders.
  • Format the Drive: Once you’ve recovered your files and ensured there’s no remaining malware, it’s a good idea to format your external drive. Right-click the drive in File Explorer, select “Format,” and follow the prompts to completely clean the drive.
By following these steps, you should be able to recover your files and ensure that your external storage is clean and ready for future use.

Ask a Question