How to clean install Windows 11 Pro on a new SSD while keeping the old Windows 11 and files

lateenmosquitoe

Reaction score
I want to do a clean install of Windows 11 Pro on a new SSD while keeping all files and folders, including the old Windows 11 installation on my current boot drive. My current setup includes a 1TB M.2 SSD (Drive C) with the existing Windows 11 installation, programs, and data. I also have a 500GB SATA SSD (Drive D) with 359GB of data in one folder.

Here’s my plan:

Move the data folder from Drive D to Drive C.
Format Drive D and install the new Windows 11 on it.
Swap drive letters so the new Windows 11 is on Drive C.
Adjust the boot order in the BIOS.
Afterward, I’d like to clean up the old Windows drive, possibly by disabling or deleting some critical files.

Is this process feasible?

Grizzly

Reaction score
Here’s my plan:

Move the data folder from Drive D to Drive C. POSSIBLE
Format Drive D and install the new Windows 11 on it. POSSIBLE
Swap drive letters so the new Windows 11 is on Drive C. NOT POSSIBLE you cannot change the drive letter of the active drive C:
Adjust the boot order in the BIOS. Won't work because the old drive C contains the boot vector of the new drive. Your system will become unbootable --> NO bootable device FOUND
You can install a new system on your formatted drive (formerly drive D:\) with the old drive c:\ disconnected. However, you will have to re install everything (Programs / apps etc.) on your new drive. Then you can change the boot order in the BIOS because now every drive has its separate system.

Vote:

Emily90124

Reaction score
To clean install Windows 11 Pro on your new SSD while keeping the old installation and files intact, follow these steps:

Back up important data: Before starting, back up any critical data from both drives to an external storage device.
Disconnect old drive: Physically disconnect the current 1TB M.2 SSD (Drive C) from your system.
Install Windows 11 Pro: Install the new Windows 11 Pro on the 500GB SATA SSD (Drive D), which will now be Drive C during the installation.
Reconnect old drive: Once Windows 11 Pro is installed, reconnect your old 1TB M.2 SSD.
Change boot order: Adjust the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the new SSD.

This way, both Windows installations will remain separate, and you can access your old files from the original drive. After ensuring everything works you can move or delete files from the old Windows installation as needed.

Vote:

lateenmosquitoe

Reaction score
I followed your suggestion to disconnect the old drive, install Windows 11 Pro on the new SSD, and then reconnect the old drive. Everything is working perfectly now. I was able to keep my old files and access the new installation without any issues. I appreciate the help!!

Vote:

Ask a Question