How to replace the system on partition C with a system from another partition?

fotosing

Reaction score
I would like to ask about a problem that has been bothering me for a long time with the second Windows 11 system that I have on another partition of the same SSD.

I am tired of two systems and the constant use of EASY BCD, I want to have one Win 11 system, but my problem is that I can't reinstall it on drive C because I don't have an ISO image of this Windows version.

The Win 11 system that I have (modification) is very good, I want to make it the primary system and move it to partition C and replace it with Windows 10.

And here I have a problem! Partition E, where the second system (Win 11) is located, is a logical partition, not a boot partition, and my whole problem is to move this Win 11 and make it the primary system on partition C.

I have already tried several methods to move this Win 11 from partition E to C, but nothing works, because even after cloning partition E and moving it to partition C from an external drive, the system does not start and a black screen appears.
How or what to do to copy/move Win 11 to C and make it the primary system?

RogerOver

Reaction score
I am not sure, but are you under UEFI or MBR for the boot ? For both ? Or is on of the partitions UEFI, the other MBR ?
Have you tried third party partition managers like Minitool Partition Wizzard or Macrorit Partition Expert ?
They are both much better than the native Windows Disk Manager, which hides the boot manager partition
If you have UEFI dual boot, it seems that Microsoft always and automatically puts the second boot manager in the boot partition of the first installed system. You cannot change this !

Grizzly

Reaction score
AFAIK Windows 11 requires UEFI partition, not MBR. It, however may be possible to install Windows 11 on a MBR drive.
Nevertheless, you cannot copy the Win 11 system from a logical drive onto a System partition with a primary drive (partition) as you will loose your boot sector (the logical partition has a different unique ID than the primary).
BTW: what versions do you have installed? You said, you do not have an iso image of what??
You can download any Windows 11 version as ISO here:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
No you can't clone and force another partition and make it bootable, however you can use partition software such as AOMEI Partition Assistant (Full Licensed Version) and convert logical partion to bootable partition eg. E to C and C to E vice versa, because manually changing the boot sequence via cloning will affect boot up process and Windows will fail to login ..

Partition software will allocate the booting partition automatically by assigning proper method itself ..

Yes, you can do it on MBR partitions, UEFI only applicable to newer computers .. I am using MBR since my BIOS/CMOS doesnt have UEFI feature ..

:)

fotosing

Reaction score
I don't know for sure if it's MBR but only in such a system can I install Windows.

You're right! I have the full version of AOMEI Partition Assistant and I'll do it tomorrow but I'll ask you if: if AOMEI Partition Assistant wants to convert logical partition E to bootable partition, in my case it's. E to C, what will happen to the partitions after that? What letters will they have after that and what order will be in the partition view when I want to look through some disk program?

Where will partition E be after that, when it changes to C?

Sorry, I don't know English well and uncle Google helps me :)

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
P.S
Importantly! I forgot what to do to permanently get rid of EasyBCD before this conversion?

Select “Reset BCD Configuration” then “Perform Action” to begin recovery. You may see a dialog like the one below asking you for your boot drive – pick the letter of your Windows Vista drive, then hit OK to continue. EasyBCD will reset your BCD data and re-configure your bootloader correctly

I never used EasyBCD, but try;
  1. Go to the EasyBCD installation folder, which is usually located in C:\Programs files or C:\Program files(x86)​
  2. Double-click the uninstall.exe or uninst000.exe file to start the uninstallation process​
Else from Control Panel, from there uninstall it to revert back to original state before ..

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I don't know for sure if it's MBR but only in such a system can I install Windows.

You're right! I have the full version of AOMEI Partition Assistant and I'll do it tomorrow but I'll ask you if: if AOMEI Partition Assistant wants to convert logical partition E to bootable partition, in my case it's. E to C, what will happen to the partitions after that? What letters will they have after that and what order will be in the partition view when I want to look through some disk program?

Where will partition E be after that, when it changes to C?

Sorry, I don't know English well and uncle Google helps me :)

In this case E will convert to C and convert to bootabl, and if not mistaken drive letter for the old E partition will remain hidden until you assign a letter to that via AOMEI again .. the old E will not be erased but only not visible ..

:)

fotosing

Reaction score
AFAIK Windows 11 wymaga partycji UEFI, nie MBR. Może jednak być możliwe zainstalowanie Windows 11 na dysku MBR.

@Grizzly

@Grizzly

I don't know where you learned this, but you're wrong, you're making a fool of me and a wise man of yourself!
On my disk in MBR I have 3 Windows systems, one Win11 as the primary system and two Win11 and Win10 on other partitions of this disk (SSD) for testing purposes and everything works OK!

I won't fight a Polish-American battle here, but I'll show you in a screenshot how it looks on my disk. My disk is in MBR and that suits me :)

Also read this:

Windows 11 requires GPT instead of MBR

When configuring a new hard disk or installing a system on it, every user faces a choice. Windows asks to choose one of two formats: MBR (Master Boot Record) and GPT (GUID Partition Table). The above does not mean much not only to most consumers with little technical knowledge, but also to many informed users. In short: MBR is an older technology, although still widely used, and GPT is newer, less common.

How is MBR different from GPT? First of all, MBR limits the user to creating a maximum of four primary partitions on the disk, with a capacity of up to 2 TB. GPT, on the other hand, allows the creation of any number of partitions with a maximum size of 256 TB each.

You write that: You can download any version of Windows 11 as an ISO here: link

I don't bother with such ISOs, because I haven't yet shaken off Pegasus, which has been plaguing the country, and such ISOs are a breeding ground for all sorts of "worms" that lurk in the system. I'm all about proper Windows modifications :)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 23 15.34.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 23 15.34.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 5
  • ScreenHunter_02 Sep. 23 15.52.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Sep. 23 15.52.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Ask a Question