How to stop Windows 11 from forcing my audio settings to change

Helpfast

Reaction score
Hello! I need Windows to stop changing my audio settings. Every time I plug in a new device, such as a monitor, it automatically configures that monitor as my new default setup. I have six monitors, and if I change a monitor, add a different device with audio options, or my cat bumps a cable, I lose all my audio settings. I have to go back into settings and set my USB PRE 2 audio controller as the default. Despite setting this as the default, Windows immediately disregards it and makes any new device with audio the default.

I'm guessing Microsoft doesn't have a solution for this and won't fix this issue in the OS. So, if there isn't a solution from Microsoft, is there a free third-party solution?

I'm facing this issue almost daily, and sometimes multiple times a day. I do professional audio work, and it's a pain starting a recording session only to find out my mic and speaker settings are lost again. Some applications rely on these settings and won't change them until restarted, such as web calls. It's not convenient when you're hosting them and don't realize the problem until after the call starts.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ask a Question