How to turn off grouping in all subfolders and views?

i1n5a2m7v

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and noticed that, similar to recent versions of Windows, my Downloads folder was automatically grouped by date. I find this so frustrating, especially considering that none of the other system folders are organized this way.
I was able to resolve this issue by adjusting settings to remove grouping and revert to sorting by name. This setup remained unchanged for some time, with all my subfolders maintaining their sorting preferences. However, this changed after the upgrade to Windows 11. Now, all my subfolders are also grouped by date. How can I turn off grouping in all subfolders and views?

Bighorn

Reaction score
One of the first things to know about File Explorer is that parts of it work as if it were a spreadsheet, for instance clicking the heading of a column changes the lineup of the files. Clicking Date will arrange either Descending order or Ascending order. Same for the other columns. Changing of the View gives choices for the current window. I set my as Details, Compact View and in Options can change more settings, when I get my desired setup I click the View tab then click one of the 2 choices at the top of that list. Grouping can also be changed. Some of the choices only work in the Details view.

Vote:

Ask a Question