I am having serious issues with Windows Updates, like Install error - 0x80070002

scumbagnide

Reaction score
Hello. I have been having issues with two Windows updates: the 2024-07 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 23H2 for x64 (KB5039895), and the 2024-07 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based systems (KB5040527).

I have retried the updates several times, and as I write this, the Update Preview one is stuck at 25%. Yesterday, I browsed several forums and Reddit posts to no avail. I've run the troubleshooter more times than I can count, but all it gives me is "Check for Windows Update Issues."

I would really like to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank you very much for all answers.

DrPat_86

Reaction score
Error 0x80070002 usually means there's a file missing or corrupt in the Windows Update files. Have you tried deleting the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder? You can do this by following these steps:

Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
Type net stop wuauserv and press Enter.
Type net stop bits and press Enter.
Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all the files and folders inside.
Restart your computer and try running the updates again.

FredFreddy

Reaction score
@scumbagnide, in addition to that, you might also want to check if your system files are intact. Running the System File Checker tool can help.
If that doesn’t work, you might consider using the Windows Update Assistant or downloading the updates manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog as @Bighorn suggested.

Bighorn

Reaction score
I'd also check out this:

I had a couple machines, Win10 and Win11, get the Patch Tuesday updates yesterday and the one I'm on now was ready for restart this morning, no issues seen yet. I don't use the auto-restart of the updates, prefer to watch for any issues.

Ask a Question