Installation Issues with KB5040442 July 2024 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2

srniot

Reaction score
I’m having trouble installing the KB5040442 July 2024 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems. Each time I attempt the installation, it prompts for a restart, but after a few hours, I receive an error message stating, "Something didn’t go as planned."

I’ve tried installing it three times, and I’ve also run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, but the issue persists. What steps can I take to successfully install this update?

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Method 1
Delete everything inside Windows\SoftwarDistribution folder (contents only, not the folder itself), restart computer and try again Windows Update ..

Method 2
Goto Microsoft Windows 11 official website and do Windows Media Creation Tool, from that ISO burn to USB using RUFUS and do re-installation from inside Windows, let everything complete 100% ..

P/S - Method 2 always works fine for me if any system files corrupted .. and never do SFC /SCANNOW this will not work :)

Ask a Question