Installing 11 After Format

Reaction score
Is there any reason why I shouldn't format the HD in my laptop and install 11 from a disc? My laptop satisfies the system requirements. Thanks.

Grizzly

Reaction score
No, there is not. By formatting your HD (HDD or SSD?) of course you will loose everything that was on it as in your data files, programs, app and so on.
This is what is generally called "a clean install"....

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Clean install and upgrade install just depends on the user, do a clean install (format) if you donthave any important files, else re-install will do fine ..

But I do recommend CLEAN install if you want better performance :)

Reaction score
No, there is not. By formatting your HD (HDD or SSD?) of course you will loose everything that was on it as in your data files, programs, app and so on.
This is what is generally called "a clean install"....
What do you do if the HD is the C: drive and laptop won't let me format it? I have formatted several external hard drives but not a C: drive in a PC.

Grizzly

Reaction score
If the drive is active, meaning you have booted from it, you cannot format it. You have to use an external medium like a bootable flash drive or a cd/dvd to boot from, then format. Since you want to do a clean install anyway, you can do that from the installation medium. there will be an option for that. There is no other way...

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
If you have prepared a BOOTable Flash Drive, with a new OS on it, and that OS is a version of Windows, then there will be an option in the Windows Installer, for you to select the partition where you want Windows installed.
I just take the option(s) to Delete all the old partitions and let the installer create new partitions as it sees fit.
That is the best way to insure a really CLEAN install.

Anything else can leave old code on the HD that can come back to haunt you!!!

Cheers Mate!
Shadow :cool:

Ask a Question