Issues with July 2024 cumulative Windows 11 Pro update KB5040442

Spregiaron5

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem with the KB5040442 Windows update. The update appears to install correctly, and after the machine restarts, there are no post errors. It boots into Windows, and after entering my PIN, it opens a session. However, I then see a swirling circle, as if it's finishing the installation, and the screen goes black, leaving only the cursor, which is responsive but the rest of the screen remains non-functional.

I was able to uninstall the update using CTRL-ALT-DEL to access Task Manager, then creating an administrator task with the command wusa /uninstall /kb:5040442. During this process, the desktop remained black except for the Task Manager window, which was operable. After uninstalling the update and restarting, my PC boots into Windows without issues, and the desktop is fully functional.

There were several .NET updates installed at the same time, but they are not the problem, as the issue resolved after uninstalling only KB5040442. This is the first time I've encountered such an issue with a cumulative Windows 11 update. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I ran an sfc /scannow scan after the restart, and it showed no corrupted files.

Ask a Question