Laptop failure: beyond repair?

izmozgald9

Reaction score
My three-year-old HP Envy laptop failed to boot, displaying error messages like "Failed to read delta log" and "Inaccessible Boot device." Despite efforts by HP Technical Support and the Geek Squad, the computer couldn't be salvaged. Is there any hope for recovery?

kale_vertigo2

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your laptop troubles. Given the error messages you're seeing it sounds like a hard drive failure. Have you tried accessing the BIOS to see if the drive is detected? Reseating the drive or trying it in an external enclosure can help determine if the drive itself is dead. If you're lucky, it might just be a loose connection.

GreatMitch

Reaction score
I agree with kale_vertigo2 it sounds like your hard drive might be toast. However, all might not be lost. If the data on your laptop is crucial, you might want to consider a professional data recovery service. They can often retrieve data from drives that seem completely dead. It's not cheap, but it can be worth it if you have important files that you need to recover.

JAY BJay

Reaction score
Before you spend money on data recovery services, my advice is to try a couple of things yourself. First, see if you can boot from a live USB stick with a Linux distribution. Sometimes, you can access your files this way even if Windows won't boot. Also, check if the hard drive is making any unusual noises, like clicking or grinding - these are signs of physical damage. If you hear these sounds, stop using the drive immediately to avoid further damage.

izmozgald9

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked the BIOS and the hard drive is not being detected, And I don't hear any unusual noises but I'll try the live USB boot and see if I can access anything. Thanks for the advice!

Ask a Question