New SSD locking for a few secs when I unlock laptop

james_uk

Reaction score
Hi, I recently upgraded the SSD in my laptop to a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 11 on it, I have been tweaking my settings etc..

Over the past couple of days I have found that the new drive makes a bit of a noise, similar to the older style hard drives, that same kinda sound, which is odd.
A google seems to tell me this is unfortunately normal for this drive, as there seems a lot written about it online. My old SSD was silent.

So, I am finding if I lock my laptop, when I come back to it, I can move my mouse about, but I cannot click on anything for about 2-4 seconds. Again, my old drive didn't do this at all.

I assumed it could be settings related, and hoping it still is.
But I have the obvious things turned off, like sleep, turn the hard drive off after so long is also turned off.

My drivers are as up to date as I think they can be.

I am hoping someone can think of something else I can check as I thought this drive was going to be a good upgrade.

Regards
James

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I highly doubt that this is hardware related, suggesting to check back with seller / vendor for a replacement .. SSD don't make noises or lags ..

:)

Vote:

james_uk

Reaction score
Hi, so i took my laptop apart again and turned it to see where this sound was coming from.

I actually don't think it's the SSD now.

After listening carefully while it was running i got the impression the sound was coming from the part I have circled on the picture, not actually sure what's behind there though, or if it's the pipes themselves, maybe got something in them?
While the laptop was open i used an air duster to give the laptop and fans, pipes a good dust, although i can still hear the sound after turning it back on.

20230727_142328.jpg

Vote:

Ask a Question