Random crashing/freezing Issues

nagrne5l

Reaction score
I built a new PC with all new components: an Asus Z790-P WiFi motherboard with an i9-12900K processor, 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM, and a Crucial M.2 2TB SSD for the OS, running a fresh install of Windows 11. The crashing and freezing occur randomly, either during or after boot. I have the latest Windows updates, the latest BIOS, and the latest drivers for all components. Despite wiping the system and doing a clean install of Windows 11, the issues persist.

I've run several burn-in tests, and the system passes, but crashes start again after a reboot. I've also run MEMTEST64 for over 20 passes without failure. I sent the motherboard for an RMA, but the manufacturer found no issues. I'm at a loss for what to do next. Any suggestions?

BenVasghen

Reaction score
Random crashes are really frustrating, i know. Have you checked the PSU? An underperforming or faulty power supply can cause these types of issues. Also, double-check all power connections to ensure they are securely plugged in. Another thing to try is to run the system with minimal peripherals connected and see if the issue persists. Keep us updated!

plastererhandmade

Reaction score
It might be worth looking into your system's temperatures too. Even though the burn-in tests pass, real-world use can sometimes cause unexpected overheating. Use software like HWMonitor or CoreTemp to check if your CPU or GPU is overheating during use. Also, try updating or rolling back your GPU drivers, as sometimes new drivers can cause stability issues. Good luck!

DrPat_86

Reaction score
Hey nagrne5l, have you tried running your system with just one stick of RAM at a time? Sometimes even if MEMTEST64 passes, there can be intermittent issues with RAM that only show up under specific conditions. Also, make sure your RAM is seated properly and that it's running at the correct voltage and timings specified by the manufacturer. Let us know if this helps!

nagrne5l

Reaction score
I checked the PSU and it's delivering stable power according to my multimeter. Temperatures seem fine as well; CPU temps are hovering around 35-40°C at idle and go up to 75°C under load. I'll try running with one stick of RAM and check the seating

nagrne5l

Reaction score
I ran the system with one stick of RAM at a time, and the crashes still occur regardless of which stick I use. I also checked the RAM settings in BIOS and everything is set to default.
I'm beginning to suspect the CPU might be the issue. Does anyone have experience with CPU-related crashes? Any advice would be appreciated.

Ask a Question