Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

drawerszabra

Reaction score
After installing Windows 11 Version 22H2 and restarting my PC, I received the message: "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."
Following some research, I tried to access my BIOS settings by pressing the BIOS key, F12, but unlike other keys, it didn't lead me to the BIOS settings. Pressing F11 didn’t help either. How can I fix this issue?

Bighorn

Reaction score
What brand and model computer? The key for entering BIOS setup or the Boot menu are different between Brands and maybe between models. For Dell use F2 and for HP use the Esc key for the BIOS. For the boot choice menu it may be F9, F10 or F12.

DanTheShield

Administrator
Reaction score
The issue you're facing, "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key," typically indicates that the BIOS of your computer is unable to find a bootable device. This can be due to several reasons like incorrect BIOS settings, a failed or failing hard drive, or an improperly installed operating system. Here's how you can troubleshoot and attempt to resolve this issue:

1. Ensure the Boot Order is Correct​

• Access the BIOS/UEFI: The key to enter the BIOS/UEFI can vary based on the motherboard manufacturer. Common keys include F2, Del, Esc, and F10. Since F12 and F11 did not work for you, try these other keys right after powering on the PC. Sometimes, the correct key is displayed during the boot-up process (e.g., "Press KEY to enter Setup").
  • Check Boot Order: Once in the BIOS/UEFI settings, navigate to the boot menu and ensure that your hard drive (where Windows 11 is installed) is listed as the first boot device. If you recently installed a new hard drive or SSD, make sure it is recognized in the BIOS and set as the primary boot device.

2. Check for Hardware Issues​

• Connections: Check if the hard drive or SSD is properly connected to the motherboard and its power connector. Loose or improper connections can cause the BIOS not to recognize the boot device.
  • Health of the Drive: If possible, test the drive using another computer to ensure it's working correctly. Sometimes, drives can fail or get damaged during installation processes.

3. Verify the Installation Media and Installation Process​

• Bootable Media: If you have the installation media for Windows 11, ensure it's correctly created as a bootable device. You might need to use this media to repair or reinstall the OS if the installation was corrupted.
  • Repair the Installation: Boot from the Windows installation media (you might need to set the USB or DVD as the first boot device in the BIOS). Use the Repair options provided by the Windows installation environment. You can try "Startup Repair" to fix boot issues.

4. Update BIOS/UEFI​

• If you suspect that the BIOS itself is a problem (not recognizing drives correctly or outdated), check the manufacturer's website for updates. Updating the BIOS can resolve compatibility issues and bugs that affect hardware recognition.

5. Reset BIOS/UEFI to Default Settings​

• If changes in the BIOS settings are causing the issue, resetting it to default settings can help. There is usually an option like "Load Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS menu.
If, after these steps, the problem still persists, it might indicate a more serious hardware issue with the storage device or other critical components. In such cases, consulting with a professional or the support service of your device's manufacturer might be necessary.

Ask a Question