Smaller icons on my laptop

oxjenny89xo45

Reaction score
Icons on my desktop are inexplicably gettings smaller and displaying a random solid color around them instead of the usual icon. UCan someone help me? My operating system is Microsoft Windows 11 Pro on a 13th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1335U CPU with 16 gigabytes of RAM and an Intel Iris Xe graphics processor. The BIOS version is LENOVO R27ET31W (1.16). The device is a ThinkPad laptop. This problem is entirely new to me and I'm unsure where to begin troubleshooting.

FredFreddy

Reaction score
Have you tried updating your graphics drivers? You can usually find the latest drivers on the Intel website or through the Device Manager in Windows. Just right-click on the Start button, select Device Manager, and then look for your display adapters. Right-click on Intel Iris Xe and select Update driver.

Vote:

Emily90124

Reaction score
You might also want to check your display settings. Sometimes, the scaling settings can get messed up. Right-click on your desktop, select Display settings, and make sure the scaling is set to 100% or the recommended level. If that doesn't work, try resetting your icon cache.

Vote:

oxjenny89xo45

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! I updated my graphics drivers and checked the display settings as you recommended, but the problem persists. I ran the sfc /scannow command and it found some corrupted files but said it was able to repair them. Unfortunately, the icons are still small and surrounded by a solid color. I'm getting really frustrated with this.

Vote:

Alberrtros

Reaction score
another thing you can try is booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists there. If the icons display correctly in Safe Mode, it might indicate that a startup program or service is causing the issue. you can then use the System Configuration tool to selectively enable services and startup items to pinpoint the culprit

Vote:

Alberrtros

Reaction score

Vote:

oxjenny89xo45

Reaction score

Vote:

Ask a Question