Unable to activate Windows 11 after hardware upgrade

leeuhoklt

Reaction score
Hi,

I upgraded my old PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11, and everything was fine with activation since it was linked to my Microsoft account. But after I upgraded the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, I did a clean install of Windows 11 and signed in to my account, thinking it would activate automatically. It didn’t.

I tried troubleshooting and chose the "changed hardware" option, but no device shows up. My account still lists both my old and new PCs as linked, though.

I spoke with Microsoft support, and they said I need to buy a new license. This doesn’t make sense to me. if I had Windows 11 activated before on the same PC (just with older hardware), shouldn’t it activate now after the upgrade when I sign in?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Grizzly

Reaction score
Changing the motherboard is a major change that requires to buy a new license, especially when using an OEM serial. A retail version can be transferred once or twice to new hardware but then your options are gone.
These are the rules from Microsoft.

Ask a Question