Unable to Download Latest Windows Update

promptwistful

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My computer will not download the latest Windows update. In my settings, it indicates that the 2024-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5040442) and the 2024-07 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64 (KB5039895) are ready to be downloaded and installed. However, when I proceed with the update, it keeps saying there was an error and the update will not install. I have tried restarting my PC and checking my BIOS, but my troubleshooting efforts have not worked.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Clear the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder (delete the contents from inside not the root folder itself) .. restart and retry update again ..

Vote:

promptwistful

Reaction score
Clear the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder (delete the contents from inside not the root folder itself) .. restart and retry update again ..
Thank you for your help, Xploit Machine. I tried clearing the contents of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and restarting my PC, but I'm still encountering the same error when attempting to install the updates. Any other ideas?

Vote:

versusunlike

Reaction score
It could mean that a file needed by Windows Update is either missing or corrupt. Here are a few steps you can try:
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter: Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters, and then select Windows Update.
- Use the DISM tool or run the System File Checker (SFC) sfc /scannow

Try these steps and see if they resolve the issue.

Vote:

Ask a Question