Update KB5036980 corrupted my dual-drive computer

GreatMitch

Reaction score
This update was labeled "2024-04 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5036980)." One would expect that, being an "Update Preview," users would see some new features of the forthcoming update.

However, the night after installing the update, my entire 1-SSD drive, which was the "C:" drive, and my hard drive, which was the "F:" drive, have been affected. The F: drive is now the E: drive, and the D: drive, which was the RESTORE drive, is gone. Even more, the F: drive has been turned into a RECOVERY drive.

I've lost dozens of photos, public service announcements, and recorded spots used in our podcasts and nonprofit work.

Is there a way to roll back this update and restore my normal setup, or am I completely out of luck?

To make things worse, Windows is not listed among the products in the left corner of my screen, and despite choosing Firefox as my default browser, Edge opens every time I click on a link in an email or on a webpage!

Bighorn

Reaction score
That KB5036980 installed okay on my Desktop on April 23, 2024. I'm running more than one drive and no issues with them.

1716311293152.png

Bighorn

Reaction score
To make things worse, Windows is not listed among the products in the left corner of my screen, and despite choosing Firefox as my default browser, Edge opens every time I click on a link in an email or on a webpage!
Edge allows a few things on the right-click of a hyper-link/URL but Open with is not one of them, don't want to allow the User making other choices. If I want a page in a different browser I just click/Select and Copy the address in the dialog box and then Paste it in the other browser.

Windows is not listed among the products in the left corner of my screen
That's probably because Windows is already open.

Ask a Question