USB Port Problems -- Computer restarts if I pull USB device out of the port

Paige Miller

Reaction score
This seems like a bizarre problem to me. The problem started today, I have had this computer for about 2 years and never had this problem. At the top of my computer desktop case are two USB ports. In one port, I have the blue-tooth dongle; in the other port I have the dongle for my wireless keyboard. Whenever I remove one of these dongles in these two ports, the computer restarts. Even more bizarre, in my opinion, is if I just touch one of these two dongles in the USB port with my finger (so I'm not moving it or removing it from the port), the computer restarts.

Part two of this problem which also began today: There are four USB ports on my computer monitor. None of these work now. When the day started, the wireless keyboard dongle was in the USB port on the back of my monitor. The computer restarted (not sure why) and when the Windows login screen came up, neither my mouse or keyboard works. So I move the wireless keyboard dongle, put it in the USB port on top of my desktop computer case, and now they work.

So, to summarize, when I touch or try to remove something from one of those USB ports the computer restarts. And the USB ports on the monitor don't work. And other than that, everything is working flawlessly.

What is going on? How can I fix this?

By the way, I am using Windows 11 22H2 22621.3810

Last edited:

Ask a Question