We can't show this object - An object type was added, which we can't show in this version of Microsoft Whiteboard

iraguesn4

Reaction score
when I opened Microsoft Whiteboard, I got this message stating: "We can't show this object - An object type was added, which we can't show in this version of Microsoft Whiteboard." All my dotted lines disappeared. Upon opening a new whiteboard and attempting to add any type of line, I received the same error. I have the newest version.

antiquebandanna

Reaction score
Hey iraguesn4, I experienced a similar issue last week. I contacted Microsoft support and they suggested reinstalling the app. It worked for me. Have you tried that yet?

Vote:
Reaction score
It sounds like a compatibility issue with the newest version. Maybe some objects from older versions are not supported. Did you try opening the whiteboard in a web browser to see if the problem persists there?

Vote:

jadonkov

Reaction score
From what I've read, this happens when an object created in a beta or insider version of Whiteboard is opened in the stable release. It could be worth checking if you're in any beta or preview programs.

Vote:

GreenNow

Reaction score
This issue might be caused by a corrupted cache or temporary files. Try the following steps:
Close Microsoft Whiteboard.
Press Win + R, type %localappdata%, and hit Enter.
Find and delete the Microsoft Whiteboard folder.
Restart your computer.
Open Microsoft Whiteboard again and check if the issue persists.

Let me know if this helps!

Vote:

iraguesn4

Reaction score
I'm not in any beta programs as far as I know. I'll also try using the web version to see if that makes any difference. I'll keep you all posted.

Vote:

iraguesn4

Reaction score
This issue might be caused by a corrupted cache or temporary files. Try the following steps:
Close Microsoft Whiteboard.
Press Win + R, type %localappdata%, and hit Enter.
Find and delete the Microsoft Whiteboard folder.
Restart your computer.
Open Microsoft Whiteboard again and check if the issue persists.

Let me know if this helps!
I followed your instructions, but unfortunately, the issue spersists. When I try to add any type of line, I still get the same error message. Any other suggestions?

Vote:

Alberrtros

Reaction score
I had this issue too. Clearing the app's cache worked for me. On Windows, you can do this by going to Settings > Apps > Microsoft Whiteboard > Advanced options > Reset. It won't delete your boards, just the app's temporary data. Maybe give that a try?

Vote:

iraguesn4

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried clearing the cache as you suggested, but it didn't solve the problem. However, reinstalling the app did the trick! Everything seems to be working fine now. Appreciate the help, everyone!

Vote:

BenVasghen

Reaction score
Glad to hear that reinstalling worked for you, iraguesn4! For anyone still experiencing issues, you might want to check if there are any updates or patches for the app. Sometimes these errors are fixed in subsequent releases. Also, ensuring that your system's graphics drivers are up to date can sometimes resolve display-related glitches in apps like Whiteboard

Vote:

Ask a Question