Windows 11 24H2 update won't install

dengraddux

Reaction score
No matter what I do, the Windows 11 24H2 update fails to install and gives various error codes. The update starts but fails at 15%, triggering a restore and showing error 0x800736cc.

I've tried multiple solutions, including the Windows Update troubleshooter, SFC /ScanNow, DISM Cleanup, cleaning the Software Distribution, a clean boot, and installing the update from the Windows Update Catalog. Despite these efforts, the update still fails, sometimes with error 0x80092004.

Any insight on what else I can try?

CravisG

Reaction score
It sounds like you've already tried a lot of troubleshooting steps. One more thing you could try is checking for any pending updates or drivers that need to be installed before the 24H2 update. Sometimes certain drivers or previous updates need to be installed first.
You can also try performing an in-place upgrade. Download the Windows 11 installation media from the Microsoft website and run the setup.exe file. Choose the option to upgrade while keeping your files and applications.

Grizzly

Reaction score
You are aware that the 24H2 is still an Insider edition in the <release preview> channel and not officially released yet?? Having said that, your computer might not be ready to install this version as, according to what I have heard, Microsoft has tightened the preconditions for the hardware. Also, it is still experimental and may still have bugs...

jadonkov

Reaction score
Grizzly is right. And you can also try to temporarily disable your antivirus or any third-party security software you have running. Sometimes, these are the ones that interfere with the update process.

Grizzly

Reaction score
Well, I was only partially right. It seems like the latest Version of Windows 11 24H2 is already out on the latest Surface Copilot+ PC's. They
just received an update to 26000.1000 .

Emily90124

Reaction score
Hi! Make sure to check your system logs for more detailed error messages. Open the Event Viewer and look under Windows Logs > System to see if there are any specific error messages.

dengraddux

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for help guys! BIOS/UEFI and firmware are updated yet I'll try the other tips.

JAY BJay

Reaction score
In addition to these you might want to try resetting the Windows Update components manually. Here’s how you can do it:

Open Command Prompt as an administrator.

Type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each:

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Restart your computer and try running the update again.
This process resets the update components and can sometimes fix such update issues.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
As a Computer Tech, retired from 40+ years, of working on PC's, I've formed one hard and fast rule: "Never, but Never change to a newer version of Windows by using an MS Update. If I want a newer OS, I just download the ISO and install it.
If for some reason I don't like it, I can just Delete it and wait for the next OS.

I will only download the ISO from a known and trusted site, not necessarily Microsoft, then burn the ISO to a Flash Drive using Rufus.
And then perform a CLEAN install of the OS to a Fresh HD or SSD.

That way, I loose nothing off of my original OS drive, and there is NO mingling of code between the old and new OS.

A CLEAN install is the ONLY way to install Windows, trouble FREE. (any version).

Most recently, I've installed Windows 11, Pro, 24H2, to a brand new Crucial 500GB SSD. I still have my previous OS on another drive.

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

Ask a Question