Windows 11 Audio Input/Output Issue: No audio when switching outputs. Anyone else had similar issue or fix?

dufferboth

Reaction score
Hello,

For at least a year now, I have been running my audio through a USB audio interface (TASCAM US-122mkII) so I can record music, play games, voice chat, etc. I have used this successfully for audio input (via microphone) and output (via headphones) simultaneously. The last confirmed date I used this setup was 8/3/2024 for a Discord voice call with a friend. He could hear me, and I could hear him.

Today, I tried another Discord call, and my audio output won't come through my headphones unless I disable my input. I have already reinstalled the audio interface drivers. It isn't a hardware issue because I can get the output or input to work individually, but no longer simultaneously.

For example:

I can have my microphone input working fine.
I can listen to music/watch YouTube while the audio output is set to my desktop monitor, and everything works fine.
As soon as I change my output to my TASCAM audio interface, the music will stop, and I'll get an error; video will pause and buffer indefinitely.
Music and video output will only resume if I change my audio output back to my monitor.
UNLESS:

I disable my TASCAM audio interface microphone input (done inside desktop audio settings).
Music/video/all audio will output to my TASCAM headphones fine.
The two error messages I am getting from Windows state that I am having issues with my device audio service or that there is an issue with audio enhancement.

I have gone through the troubleshooter, reinstalled drivers, and chatted with support online with no resolution.

Anyone have a fix?

Operating System: Windows 11 23H2

Software/apps I have used to notice the issue: Discord, Spotify, Ableton Live 10, Steam, YouTube

cameramanunwelcome

Reaction score
Hi dufferboth, it sounds like a tricky issue. Here are a few things you can try: first, disable audio enhancements. Right-click the speaker icon in the taskbar, select Sounds, go to the Playback tab, right-click on your TASCAM device, and select Properties. Then, go to the Enhancements tab and check the box for Disable all enhancements.
Second, set TASCAM as the default device. In the same Sounds window, go to the Playback tab, right-click on your TASCAM device, and select Set as Default Device and Set as Default Communication Device. Do the same in the Recording tab for your TASCAM microphone.
Third, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for updates.

Let us know if any of these help!

Vote:

dufferboth

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried disabling the audio enhancements and setting the TASCAM as the default device, but it didn't solve the problem. My Windows is also up to date. Still having the same issue where I can't use the input and output simultaneously.

Vote:

JAY BJay

Reaction score
Hey dufferboth, it might be a conflict with the audio settings. Try to check exclusive mode. Right-click the speaker icon in the taskbar, select Sounds, go to the Playback tab, right-click your TASCAM device, and select Properties. Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the box for Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device. Do the same for your TASCAM microphone in the Recording tab.

Vote:

CravisG

Reaction score
Tru to reinstall audio drivers. Completely uninstall your TASCAM audio interface drivers, disconnect the device, and restart your computer. Reconnect the device and reinstall the drivers from the official TASCAM website.

Vote:
Reaction score
You should check audio services. Press Win + R, type services.msc, and press Enter. Find Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder in the list. Make sure both are running. If not, right-click and select Start. If they are running, right-click and select Restart.

If these steps don't work, it might be worth checking with TASCAM support to see if there are any known issues with Windows 11 23H2.

Vote:

Ask a Question