Windows 11 - can't Switch Out of S Mode

karatechemise

Reaction score
When I attempt to switch out of S Mode through the Microsoft Store, I receive the message: "Something happened and we couldn't start the upgrade," along with a "Try Again" button.

DrPat_86

Reaction score
This can be a bit tricky. First, make sure your Windows is up to date. Sometimes, an update is required before you can switch out of S Mode. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and check for updates.
If everything is up to date, try these steps:
  1. Open the Microsoft Store and make sure you are signed in with your Microsoft account.
  2. Search for "Switch out of S Mode" in the Microsoft Store.
  3. Follow the prompts to switch out of S Mode. If you still get the error, try restarting your device and then try the process again.

Vote:

karatechemise

Reaction score
This can be a bit tricky. First, make sure your Windows is up to date. Sometimes, an update is required before you can switch out of S Mode. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and check for updates.
If everything is up to date, try these steps:
  1. Open the Microsoft Store and make sure you are signed in with your Microsoft account.
  2. Search for "Switch out of S Mode" in the Microsoft Store.
  3. Follow the prompts to switch out of S Mode. If you still get the error, try restarting your device and then try the process again.
Thanks. I checked for updates, and everything is up to date. I also tried restarting my device, but I still get the same error message when I try to switch out of S Mode.

Vote:

JAY BJay

Reaction score
Hey karatechemise, If the usual methods aren't working, you can try the following steps:
Reset the Microsoft Store cache:
  • Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box.
  • Type wsreset.exe and press Enter.
  • This will reset the Store cache.

Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter:
  • Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
  • Select Additional troubleshooter.
  • Find and run the troubleshooter for Windows Store Apps.
After doing these steps, try switching out of S Mode again. Let us know if it works!

Vote:

Ask a Question