Windows 11 OS update problem crashed laptop

staidpunish

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have a Lenovo P52s with an 8th Gen i7-8550U processor and 16GB of RAM. My laptop was running Windows 11 smoothly until a Windows update in early 2024 caused a looping issue. Now, after a Windows update in July 2024, my laptop has crashed.
I’ve tried using the MS Media Creation Tool to repair the system, but it didn’t work. Restore points are not available, and I’ve attempted to reload Windows, but I’m encountering errors about insufficient Windows requirements. I’ve checked the Lenovo website and confirmed that my laptop meets the requirements.
Can you help resolve this issue? Many thanks.

Sarah863

Reaction score
It sounds like you might be facing a compatibility or driver issue that came with the July 2024 update. One thing you could try is booting your laptop into Safe Mode. You can do this by holding down the Shift key while selecting Restart from the power menu. This might help you bypass the issues caused by the recent update. Once in Safe Mode, check if you can update or reinstall your drivers.

Alberrtros

Reaction score
First, try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. You can find this tool in the Settings under Update & Security, and it can often identify and fix common issues with Windows Update.

Another thing to try is manually resetting the Windows Update components. This involves stopping some services, renaming folders, and then restarting the services. There are guides online for this, but it essentially involves commands that can fix common update problems.

Also, check if there are any pending updates or prerequisites that need to be installed first. Sometimes updates have dependencies, and missing one can cause issues. Finally, if you continue to have trouble, you might want to download the update manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog and install it that way.

Emily90124

Reaction score
You should also run a System File Checker scan. Open Command Prompt in Safe Mode and type sfc /scannow to see if there are any corrupted system files that need fixing. Additionally, it might be worth checking if your BIOS needs an update, as BIOS updates can sometimes resolve compatibility issues with new Windows updates.

If none of these steps work, you might need to consider a clean installation of Windows 11. Just make sure you have a backup of your important data before doing so.

frenchambition

Reaction score
Since the Media Creation Tool didn't fix the issue, there might be something deeper going on with the update process or the installation media itself. You could try using Event Viewer to check for any specific error messages related to the update - this might give you a clearer idea of what went wrong.

If you have another PC, creating a fresh installation media with the latest Windows 11 ISO might help. Sometimes, the issue could be with the current media you're using. Also, try resetting the Windows Update components. Microsoft has support articles on how to do this, which usually involve stopping the Windows Update services and renaming certain folders.

Sarah863

Reaction score
Since you’ve tried a few different approaches already, here are a couple more things to consider. First, check the health of your hard drive. Issues like a failing disk can sometimes lead to problems after updates. You might use a tool to see if there are any signs of trouble.

It’s also a good idea to disconnect any external devices, like USB drives or printers, to rule out any conflicts they might be causing.

JAY BJay

Reaction score
If you can access the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE), you might try a startup repair from there - it’s a built-in tool that can easily fix boot problems.

accuratedealer

Reaction score
It sounds like you’ve been having trouble with this update. One common solution is to try clearing the Windows Update cache. You can do this by stopping the Windows Update service and then deleting the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder. After that, restart the service and try updating again.

ByteMaster

Reaction score
If you’re still stuck, consider checking the Event Viewer for specific error codes related to the update failure. Those codes can provide more insight into what’s going wrong. And if all else fails, you might need to contact Microsoft Support for more direct assistance.

Mickey52

Reaction score
with all other suggestions try this from administrator prompt SFC /scannow copy just shown per is space between SFC and /. This has fixed many issues. Once you run it will say it found issues and fixed it.
Win11 is fickle with drivers being out of date if you verified all drivers are up to date and run this command should fix things.
if you still have issues one more command run as Administrator is dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth it too will tell you if things are OK.

Ballens

Reaction score
Repeated installation failures can be frustrating. You might want to start by ensuring your system is fully up-to-date with all previous updates, as sometimes an incomplete update can prevent new ones from installing.

Ask a Question