Windows activation key just disappeared

CodeCatcher

Reaction score
I bought an HP Omen laptop, and after a few months of usage, my Windows operating system suddenly disappeared, and I'm unsure how to restore it. I'm unable to update the "2024-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5037771)." Whenever I try, it simply states, "something didn't go as planned," and I suspect it may be due to my Windows not being activated.

Bighorn

Reaction score
Just an observation, if Windows "disappeared" there is no way it can update, probably can't even boot into Windows, would have to be reinstalled from bootable USB Thumb drive or bootable DVD+R/DL disc made from the .iso file downloaded by the MCT/Media Creation Tool process on another computer.

Grizzly

Reaction score
Agree with Bighorn. The fact that you try to update and fails tell me that your Windows has not disappeared. Maybe you should provide more accurate information of what really happens.
The fact that you used your computer for a few months indicates that the computer is already activated otherwise you would not be able to use it. One can use a system for only 30 days without activation afaik. after that time the system would shut down every so often.

Ask a Question