Windows key

Win11Explorer

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to store a Windows key on a FreeDOS system (ProBook 450 G10) in such a way that it won't be lost during a reinstallation?

Bighorn

Reaction score
It needs to first be known if the Windows Key is OEM, came with the computer, or is a Retail key. Win8 was the beginning of the key being embedded in the motherboard and usually does not need to be entered during setup. It activates when connected to the Internet.

Vote:

Win11Explorer

Reaction score
It needs to first be known if the Windows Key is OEM, came with the computer, or is a Retail key. Win8 was the beginning of the key being embedded in the motherboard and usually does not need to be entered during setup. It activates when connected to the Internet.
Hi Bighorn, Thank you for your response. I have a system with a Windows RTM Professional OEM: DM and a system with a Windows RTM professional retail. The one with the Retail key it loses the key after a reinstall. The keys are Win 10 and I'm using Win 11. The systems are FreeDOS, so windows was not factory installed.

Attachments

• Forum.png
    Forum.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 4

Vote:

Win11Explorer

Reaction score
That appears to be normal. The OEM key is embedded so a reinstall of it doesn't need to ask for it.
Thanks! Just to clarify, when installing windows on a FreeDOS sytem and entering an OEM key, is it automatically embedded or does something still need to be done for that?

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Thanks! Just to clarify, when installing windows on a FreeDOS sytem and entering an OEM key, is it automatically embedded or does something still need to be done for that?
As I understand it the OEM key is done at the factory/assembly by the OEM. It's not like with Win7 and earlier when the 25-digit Product Key was on the COA/Certificate Of Authenticity sticker somewhere on the computer and maybe in the BIOS. I've not done a Retail Win10/Win11 install but would imagine a clean install will need the key entered again. And no idea about whether/how Windows gets through FreeDOS to obtain motherboard resources.

Vote:

Ask a Question