Sudden loss of all data

bildi66

Reaction score
Woke my 2 month old new HP desktop with windows 11 and discovered almost all settings, programs, and data, and went almost back to factory settings. It even wiped clean 2 thumb drives which were plugged in.

Fortunately, I was able to do a system recovery which brought everything back.

Does this happen often with windows 11. What is the cause and can it be prevented from happening again?

Sir_George

Reaction score
Woke my 2 month old new HP desktop with windows 11 and discovered almost all settings, programs, and data, and went almost back to factory settings. It even wiped clean 2 thumb drives which were plugged in.

Fortunately, I was able to do a system recovery which brought everything back.

Does this happen often with windows 11. What is the cause and can it be prevented from happening again?
What you describe is more likely some infection, virus or malware. What application are you using for protection; Windows Defender or something else? Providing system specs is helpful when trying to resolve a problem.

Vote:

Sir_George

Reaction score
THX. I use windows defender and Avast Premium Security>
Have you performed a System Scan with Avast? If not, that would be a good first step. Also try Malwarebytes online scan. Visit the link below for more information.

Select the "Free Online Virus Scanner Download"

These are just my suggestions, others may have a different suggestion.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question