After removing malware from an external storage device, I cannot find my files.

sauvatja1v

Reaction score
After scanning an infected external storage device and removing malware, files are nowhere to be found. Malware may have hidden files and created shortcuts. To restore files, i found this trick: update Anti-Malware, unhide files in File Explorer Options, locate hidden folder, move files back, delete hidden folder and shortcut but it didn't work.

jadonkov

Reaction score
You could try a data recovery tool. They can scan your drive and help recover lost or hidden files. Just make sure you don't save any new data on the external drive until you've attempted recovery, to avoid overwriting any of your lost files.

BitBlazer

Reaction score
Consider running a deep scan with a reputable antivirus or anti-malware program. I know that malware can mess with file permissions or cause other issues that standard recovery steps don’t fix. A thorough scan might identify such problems or help restore your files.

Reaction score
If none of the above solutions work, you might want to check the drive for errors. You can do this by right-clicking the drive in File Explorer, selecting Properties, going to the Tools tab, and clicking "Check" under the Error checking section. This process might identify and fix any file system errors that are preventing your files from appearing.

sauvatja1v

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I used a recovery tool and it managed to find some of my files! It looks like they were indeed hidden and corrupted. I appreciate all the help!

Ask a Question