Lenovo laptop shut down during factory reset

hypernovaalien

Reaction score
My Lenovo laptop kept freezing every few minutes and shutting down so I attempted a factory reset to resolve the issue. However, during the reset process, it froze and powered off. Now, my laptop is stuck in a cycle of repeatedly booting up, displaying a blue screen briefly, and then shutting down.
Is there any solution to this problem?

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Clean hardware .. computer spec? below is mine .. I never complaint ..

P/S - User Problem :p

1715536886797.png

DanTheShield

Administrator
Reaction score
When a Lenovo laptop shuts down during a factory reset and then enters a cycle of booting up to a blue screen and shutting down, it usually indicates that the reset process was interrupted and did not complete properly, leading to corrupted system files or incomplete Windows installation. Here are some steps you can follow to try and resolve this issue:

1. Attempt to Complete the Factory Reset Again

• Access the Advanced Startup Options: If your laptop powers on, interrupt the boot process three times in a row. Turn on the laptop and as soon as you see the Windows logo, hold the power button until it turns off. Repeat this three times. On the fourth restart, Windows should boot into the Advanced Startup Options menu.
  • Use Recovery Options: From the Advanced Startup menu, select "Troubleshoot" > "Reset this PC". Choose to either "Keep my files" or "Remove everything" depending on whether you want to preserve your files. This might restart the factory reset process.

2. Use a Recovery or Installation Media

If the internal reset option fails:

• Create a USB Recovery Drive: On another PC, go to Microsoft’s website to download the Windows media creation tool and use it to create a bootable USB drive with Windows installation media.
  • Boot from USB: Insert the USB into your Lenovo laptop. Enter the BIOS/UEFI settings by pressing F1, F2, F12, or Enter (depending on your model) as the laptop powers on. Go to the boot menu and set the USB as the primary boot device.
  • Install Windows: Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows. This should clean install Windows on your laptop, effectively pushing a reset.

3. Check for Hardware Issues

• Diagnose Hardware Issues: Since your laptop was freezing and shutting down even before the reset, there might be underlying hardware problems. Lenovo laptops often have built-in diagnostics you can access from the boot menu. You can also use third-party tools like MemTest86 to test your RAM, or an HDD/SSD utility to check your hard drive’s health.

4. Enter Safe Mode

• If you can access the Advanced Startup Options without a USB:
    • Select "Startup Settings" and then "Restart".
    • After your PC restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode.
    • If you get into Safe Mode, you can attempt to repair drivers or uninstall recent updates that might be causing the issue.
It's essential to ensure your laptop has a stable power source throughout these processes to avoid further interruptions. If you are not comfortable performing some of these steps, it might be safer to take the laptop to a professional technician.

Ask a Question