Limited Laptop Memory

DrPat_86

Reaction score
My laptop has 4GB of RAM but I can only use 700MB of it, even with no apps open. I reset my laptop, and the highest usable amount of memory I’ve seen is just 900MB. this means that I can use less than 1GB of my laptop’s memory.

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4020 CPU
Installed RAM: 4GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Version: Windows 11 Home

Bighorn

Reaction score
A 64-bit computer running a 64-bit of Windows can use more than 4GB RAM up to the maximum supported by the motherboard. Windows will use as much of the installed RAM as it wants to run programs. If needed Windows will swap out to the Virtual Memory/swapfile/paging file if it is enabled. I wouldn't be concerned by what you see. Don't forget that the Notebook use part of the RAM for the video/graphics adapter. Might check Task Manager and Performance for what is going on.

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
For years, people have been giving my their old, sometimes Broke, laptops.
I just refurbish those that can be saved and scrap the rest.

As a Windows Hobbyist I have almost every Version of Windows 10 and 11 that have ever been published.

First thing to do with an unknown laptop is to see just what level of hardware it's at. Is it 64 bit capable? If so, it should run Windows 11/Pro/64, at least 22H2. If its CPU has the SSE4.2 instruction set included, then it will run Windows 11, Pro, 24H2, or later.

I've only said "or later" because there is already a 24H2, V2 (lite) available. I have it, I've installed it, and I'm running it on my #2 SSD, on this very computer. (not during this post)
And dang is it ever FAST! Perfect for a Laptop. It may soon become my every day OS.

Most laptops, at least the ones I have, top out at about 4GB of ram. Some only 2GB of ram. Whatever it is, MAX out your ram.
Today, it's almost Mandatory that you have an SSD in any laptop.
A "Lite" version of Windows really helps a Laptop, a lot!

So, the bottom line is: There are things available today that can help you get the Maximum performance out of almost any laptop.
I do it all the time!

Cheers Mates and Happy Computing,
Shadow :cool:

Vote:

Ask a Question