New build for Win 11

esebm

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to build a new budget AMD-based PC that can run Win 11. Just for light office work, no gaming at all. There are too many MOBO/CPU combinations out there to make my head spin. I'm wondering if I could solicit some advice from the experts.
Thanks,
Ed

StevenG

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to build a new budget AMD-based PC that can run Win 11. Just for light office work, no gaming at all. There are too many MOBO/CPU combinations out there to make my head spin. I'm wondering if I could solicit some advice from the experts.
Thanks,
Ed
I've just built an AMD AM-4 gaming system with the Asus TUF B550-Plus (WI-FI) AMD ATX AM-4 mobo as it’s a solid board and reasonably priced, I paired this with sort of an above average cpu the Ryzen 7 5800X and the cheapest RTX-3080 gpu with 32GB 2x 16GB DDR4-3600MHz CL19 ram, Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe M.2 hard drive, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W psu and a just as cheap gaming case which all cost about $1500 USD as I had all the rest like 32” monitor, keyboards and mouse.

If thats too expensive then you should strive for a good mobo like the one above that has the convenience of a built-in Wi-Fi/BT and it’s a good, branded board, as using a cheap mobo will give you more problems than its worth and it’s a good investment to have a reasonable mobo. Its also best to buy like last version chipsets mobos like the above B550, you can pair this mobo with an AMD integrated graphics processor (IGPs) like the Ryzen 7 - 5700G and a 1TB or less whatever you need, of a hard drive like the WD NS-570 or if you want better than the NS-750 M.2 NVMe, the same as above ram and maybe a lower 550W psu and a cheap case like for $50, as you could get all that for under $750 USD.

yodap

Reaction score
AMD just dropped the prices on a lot of Ryzen CPU’S. The Ryzen 7 5700G is about $30.00US cheaper than I paid a month ago. 199.ish now. Good bang for the buck for an office type set-up.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I have just re-built two desktop PC's, that suffered blown motherboards (no idea!)
I got one Gigabyte motherboard on Ebay for under $100, complete with AMD six core CPU.
And I got another Gigabyte DX-10 motherboard (no cpu) for $50. I'm on the DX-10 now, and it runs Windows/Pro/64 just great. The board has on-board graphics, and once I got the right ATI drivers for it, I've got great Graphics on my 24" monitor.

You certainly don't need a Ryzen cpu for an office or even an average home PC.
That's way Overkill, and a budget killer too.
I've totally rebuilt two desktop PC's, for under $200, and they both have Gigabyte motherboards and AMD Athlon cpu's. One has 8GB of ram with a six core cpu, and the other has 16 GB of ram, with an 8 core cpu.
Once I cut the BS out of Win-11, it runs faster than Win-7.

Shadow :cool:

yodap

Reaction score
Congrats!
If you want to continue to put together old hardware systems and install W11 on them, I can send you lots of stuff for the cost of shipping.
I assumed the OP was interested in a system with new hardware, maybe because he was ready to retire his older stuff. They mentioned new.
My system: 8/16 core AMD G series APU, Asus MB, with onboard graphics, 32GB Ram @3200Ghz, 500 GB NVME M2 SSD and a $30. cpu air cooler that does a great job. $470 all in brand new. Had a 2 year old PS and a good case.
Overkill for a small office and an average home computer? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on your applications like the heavy MS Office, Intuit or CAD programs.
With a couple of older motherboards I could put together 2 systems tomorrow but why would I? Can’t sell them or donate or give them away. Believe me I’ve tried

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Likewise, I've found about all I can do with OLD computers, even though they run good, is tweak them, tune them and just enjoy them.
I would give one away, if someone ever asks.

The PC I'm on right now, I originally built for myself back in 2015. A year ago, the motherboard just blew up, with NO warning.
Although, the AMD cpu, 16GB of ram, and an ssd and video card, were all just fine.
I bought a new/replacement mobo from a dealer on Ebay, rebuilt this PC and it's running Windows 11/Pro/64 today.
There is a wealth of parts, both new and used, on Ebay.
I have no affiliation with Ebay, other than to use them when needed.

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

Ask a Question