Weird white box in the middle of my screen?

NyX

Reaction score
There is a weird white box in the middle of my screen and I cant get rid of it for some reason? I upgraded to windows 11 yesterday and I didn't have any problems, but I go on my computer today and i find this weird white box in the middle of my screen, does someone know how to fix this?
Screenshot 2021-10-27 070738.png

Bastet

Reaction score
If you hold Ctrl key + Alt key + Delete it will open the task manager, see if anything is shown.
It is most likely the ‘Welcome to Windows 11’ screen.
Try restarting the PC to see if it reappears.

NyX

Reaction score
If you hold Ctrl key + Alt key + Delete it will open the task manager, see if anything is shown.
It is most likely the ‘Welcome to Windows 11’ screen.
Try restarting the PC to see if it reappears.
There is no Welcome to windows 11 application, ill try restarting , maybe that makes it go away

Bastet

Reaction score
What was the solution in the end?
When I updated to Win 11 I’m sure I saw a popup showing the various Win 11 additions/settings. It was about the size of that blank area.

NyX

Reaction score
In the end, I think it might've been because of a NVidia driver update, because I restarted my pc, then I saw that I had to update my drivers, I had to restart again after the update was finished and it was gone

ficskala

Reaction score
I had this exact issue, and i'm not using a nvidia gpu, in my case, it was a steam notification asking if i'm using a VR headset, after closing steam, the problem went away

Edit: i assume this box apprears when a software wants to open a popup, but isn't allowed to do so by windows, resulting in this white window that does nothing

JD Jones

Reaction score
I had the same random white box issue issue, but it turned out to be Steam asking if I wanted to use big picture mode since I had a controller connected.

lnwellnesswarrior

Reaction score
I had this exact issue, and i'm not using a nvidia gpu, in my case, it was a steam notification asking if i'm using a VR headset, after closing steam, the problem went away

Edit: i assume this box apprears when a software wants to open a popup, but isn't allowed to do so by windows, resulting in this white window that does nothing
When I updated to Win 11 I’m sure I saw a popup showing the various Win 11 additions/settings. It was about the size of that blank area.

I still haven't resolved this issue. The task manager doesn't Any other suggestions?

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
I still haven't resolved this issue. The task manager doesn't Any other suggestions?
Hmmm.
I would try in apps at bottom select only the native windows stuff to load at startup turning off whatever you are able/can do without, you can turn back on the things after the restart you will be doing...

then hover over the stuff on tray bottom right and the show hidden and quit the things there you are able.

then clik the "start" icon (windowpane) and see if there is a "welcome to 11" icon.. if so just run the thing and get it over with.. if not clik the search icon looking for the same welcome thing if not then .....

go ahead and do a re-boot ...keeping in mind on the startup only the native stuffs should load .. indicating if the white screen is caused by a native app or one that you shut down on the apps/startup tab.

after you can turn back on whatever you want to load on startup in the apps tab at bottom or chose to manually start the things when you need them and leave them off.

AC

riverdawn

Reaction score
I have the same issue but it is only on one of my browser entity profiles. It prohibits the functionality of opening attachments and buttons become nonfunctional. I have tried all the suggestions above with no success. Running Chrome and just upgraded to windows 11.

Johnnyd1111

Reaction score
Yep steam asking about big picture but faulty. Opened steam and the message clarified and I was able to close it.

stey1

Reaction score
When I closed the Opera-Browser things, it worked! So go in the taskmanager and close all things related to it..

zintha96

Reaction score
Mines was a white small box in the right bottom of my laptop I was confused on what it was and didn't know to click out of it.

qwertius

Reaction score
Only a restart used to fix it (killing explorer.exe wouldn't) but I just found out another way: hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get to the black logon screen, then click Cancel to get back to the desktop. In my case, the white bastard was gone! This trick tends to fix a number of weird graphics glitches like that and I was aware of it for a while but didn't think to apply it to the white box issue.

Ask a Question