Windows Defender

Denny

Reaction score
Every day there are two emails that say Microsoft Defender is turned off yet each time I go in I find Windows Defender is TURNED ON.
How do I stop those emails. This started in the beginning of June this month.
Thank you

RogerOver

Reaction score
What do you mean when you say 2 emails ? Do you really means emails in your mailbox, or are you talking about "notifications" (extreme right of your taskbar) ?

Vote:

Denny

Reaction score
What do you mean when you say 2 emails ? Do you really means emails in your mailbox, or are you talking about "notifications" (extreme right of your taskbar) ?
I receive two emails eighter at the same time or one minute apart. They are the same email telling me Microsoft Defender has been turned off, BUT I find Windows Defender is on. I am assuming Microsoft Defender and Windows Defender is the same software.

Vote:

Grizzly

Reaction score
I receive two emails eighter at the same time or one minute apart. They are the same email telling me Microsoft Defender has been turned off, BUT I find Windows Defender is on. I am assuming Microsoft Defender and Windows Defender is the same software.
That is junk email. Microsoft defender is not the same as Windows defender. I'd say that is some phishing email. Criminals try to trick you clicking on a provided link that will most likely install malware. Getting those emails one after another is IMHO suspicious.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
That is junk email

That's what I thought also. There should be a folder in your mailbox called "Quarantine or Spam" or something similar. Just drag and drop the mails to this folder and you should'nt get the message anymore. There is a spam filter included into every mailbox application on your computer ("the lower level"), but sometimes the spam filter is also at what I call "the upper level".

Your mailbox allows you to chose whether you prefer to download the mails to your computer, to keep them in your mail account "at the upper level" (your mailbox account) or both. If you don't see the "quaratine" or "spam" folder on your computer, and want to help your mailbox provider to get even better with spam, just go into your account with your mailbox provider (you need to find your password), look for the inciminated mails "at the upper" level and put them into the "spam" or "quaratine" folder (or similar) at that level. It will help a lot of people !

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
just mark SPAM, REPORT, or set the address in BLOCK list .. as I am not sure what email provider you're using, then you should either one the said to mark on :)

Vote:

Denny

Reaction score
I believe Microsoft Defender is part of the Microsoft 365 system so I don't want to block it till I know I am not vulnerable in my Excel, Word etc. I am still checking on that end. Thanks

Vote:

Sir_George

Reaction score
I believe Microsoft Defender is part of the Microsoft 365 system so I don't want to block it till I know I am not vulnerable in my Excel, Word etc. I am still checking on that end. Thanks
I would suggest checking the email header for the source and determine where it originates. That information should help you in determining why the email is being sent, such as a scam, spam or legitimate notification.

If you are not familiar with how to find and use the header information, check the following link.

Last edited:

Vote:

Henk

Reaction score
Sorry, no. I also got messages telling me that Defender has been turned off. It was hiding deep down in menus, so deep I can't reproduce it yet, besides I use a different language. Some part of the defender really was switched off.

Vote:

Ask a Question